Monday, October 5, 2015

I AM...ABOVE AVERAGE

I am “above average”
My life is just fine.
I’m trapped in the middle
With no way to shine.

I’ve never been on drugs
Or out on the street.
Nothing to rise above,
I’m already strip.

My parents are living
Money-wise, they’re well.
They’re less kind and supportive
For that, I’m in hell.

But sometimes, just sometimes
It can’t be controlled
If you’re born better off
Or out in the cold.

“Your parents make enough
Anf they cannot cover you!”
But they don’t understand,
I have siblings, too.

Too rich to qualify
But too poor to pay
I am a Nigerian, middle class,
And I’m not okay

I never thought I’d say
“I wish my life stunk;
Then people would listen
Not toss me like junk.”

I do have depression;
Now I seem unique.
But I will not use it
For show, like a freak.

I guess I’m a soft head.
And also not deranged
Do I have to use these traits
To truly prevail?

When I think I have won
The prize always goes
To the gut-wrenching story
The prejudice shows.

I may not seem helpless,
Weak, or downtrodden
But I still deserve help
To not hit rock bottom

Deep down, I’m a writer
I love to speak up
For the weak and voiceless
Who truly need help

I want to change the world
Just give me a chance
I may not seem special
Outside at first glance

It’s what’s inside that counts
Not gender or race
I’m counting on others
To offer me grace.

So what must I do?
PAY ATTENTION TO ME
I have great potential
I promise, you’ll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment